Author Topic: Taking Cash?  (Read 30356 times)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
Re: Taking Cash?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING !

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING !!!

Val x 😅

Ha Ha Val, Love it

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Val n Bill , even if they are it will not affect the Greek laid back attitude.

NOBODY WILL BE "RUSSIAN" ANYWHERE!!!

Negg

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
I look at it this way, if we (tourists) take euros with us, then that will leave more actual cash in the Greek banks for the locals, should they wish to withdraw it.

Offline annemarsh

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
...........so bring cash if you feel that it removes any pressure from you and thereby helps to improve your time here.

I just think that bringing cash (euros) might help remove pressure on the Greek banks , rather than myself. As Dimitris so wonderfully put it, our Greek friends would not allow a minor issue such as having no money to ruin our holiday!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2015, 10:18:55 PM »
I cannot see that the current situation will make a lot of difference to us tourists.....the only thing that might affect us is if you rely on the cash machines to supply your Euros.

They might not be filled regularly, and it's plain from the news items we see on TV that there will soon be a "situation" when all local machines will be empty for long periods.

I don't think our friends in Arillas will let us down. After all if you have Travellers Cheques or Sterling to change I am sure those of us who bring only euros will be spending them...... so no shortage of cash in the village.

The likes of car hire places, coach tours and the larger establishments would be willing to cash them.

I can only say ....bring Euros and hire a safety deposit box, which is what we have done in the past.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline martinh

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2015, 11:24:46 PM »
Where does anyone recommend for safety deposit boxes. Some accommodation have them, some don't. Martin

Offline jean

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »
Try Theo at Arillas Cars. He has boxes in his office and is very central in the village.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
Agree with Jean. The deposit boxes at Arillas Cars are public facing, so very difficult to tamper with in such a public position. Central to everything, so convenient to get at on a regular bais. We used them in 2002 and 2003 with no problems at all. Since then we have not used a deposit box, and brought travellers cheques for the bulk of our money. May rethink a bit this year, but probably not.

Phil

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »
When we stay at Bardis sun their deposit boxes are usually opposite the bar. Saying that, I haven't used them since 2007.

Offline Ron and Sue

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
Arilas Cars have the safest boxes I have ever seen abroad.The bank style vault doors that enclose them look impregnable and the charges are very low.

Offline HH

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
Today's newspapers are really scaremongering. We will be in Arillas for the eleventh time come what may. If we are stranded then I can think of no better place to be stranded!

Offline dylan

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »
Nice idea Terry! we all know that Arillas and our friends there is the best place to be whatever the situation, perhaps everywhere in Arillas could start accepting sterling, if it would help them! Dimitris might have a queue of borrowers soon! What a typical gesture though. If we all spend 10per cent more this year, maybe that would help!

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Today's newspapers are really scaremongering. We will be in Arillas for the eleventh time come what may. If we are stranded then I can think of no better place to be stranded!

Love the idea of being stranded in Arillas!  I think so long as people keep going to and take cash for emergencies it'll be fine. I just hope those running business will be ok too.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
Not a bad idea, of places accepting Sterling, Dylan. Not sure what legal implications could be, if any.
(I could change sterling for euros but the exchange rate would be poor , e1.32, as that was the rate I got many months ago)

However, with the current exchange rate still hovering around that e1.38 mark you will certainly get even more value for money than last year.

Whatever happens , as has been said many times, Arillas locals will look after you.

Negg

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
Greek banks closed all week,limit of 60 euro per day at atms ,If heading to Arillas wise to take extra cash even if its a fight to get the locals to take it.Eurozone and Greece are at a standoff and as greek PM said The dignity of the Greek people in the face of injustice will send a message of hope and pride to all of Europe

Booking.com