Author Topic: Taking Cash?  (Read 30353 times)

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Taking Cash?
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:44 AM »
Never sure whether things like this are true or just scare mongering.  I always take cash anyway.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2015/06/17/greece-travellers-must-take-cash/

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Taking Cash?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:53:55 AM »
Scare Mongering and absolute PIFFLE!!

Thanks Nick , for bringing it to our attention. These "Doom n Gloom" boys , in my opinion, go far out of their depth more than often.

Hmmm? - A travel expert at Money Super Market says "Ensure you  take cash" - I just wonder if he is the same guy that does the ads?

Negg

Offline NickBoardman

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

Thanks Nick , for bringing it to our attention. These "Doom n Gloom" boys , in my opinion, go far out of their depth more than often.

Hmmm? - A travel expert at Money Super Market says "Ensure you  take cash" - I just wonder if he is the same guy that does the ads?

Negg

It wouldn't surprise me Negg if it was the same guy!  I think the top nations are worried that Greece will show that they can cope alone!

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:57 AM »
I think its very important to take extra cash in the current climate. Nobody knows what will happen whether its scare mongering of fact. I always keep a minimum of €500 and top up when I pass a cash machine that is working. Its a fact that the ATM's may not have cash in them. Cash is king when there is a possible crisis.

I have ordered extra cash today and I will try to make sure I will always have between €700 to € 1000 at hand. I suppose I can do this because I am returning in September and even after that holiday I will  have some left for the following year. They can always  be changed to drachma's.

The most important thing is to keep going to Greece.

I don't think that all of the articles below can all be "piffle"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/take-cash-greece-post-office-5899459

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3127221/Warning-British-tourists-Greece-nears-bankruptcy-Holidaymakers-warned-cash-incase-cash-machines-switched-off.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11566983/Holidaymakers-warned-to-take-cash-to-Greece-amid-financial-collapse-fears.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189398-s601/Greece:Banks.And.Money.html

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/577227/British-holidaymakers-issued-fresh-warnings-over-risky-travel-to-cash-strapped-Greece

Offline Ron and Sue

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:01:51 PM »
I have to agree with Terry W   .It would be no help running out of cash and then saying maybe it was not scaremongering after all!Remember that there are always safety deposit boxes available.

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »
I'm afraid I agree that cash will be king. It's unlikely that Greece will pull out of the Euro before the end of the summer, but a run on the banks is always possible. With favourable exchange rates at the moment it seems to make sense to me.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
would I be better taking sterling or euros though?

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
we normally take both, but maybe it won't be so easy to exchange???

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »
Jo, we take the bulk of what we normally spend in euros, we take a fair amount of sterling as well....we call this our "just in case money" ha ha.

The exchange rate has been so good lately that this year we have bought more euros to also cover our October visit. I think the problems that are envisaged will only effect those relying on cash machines as they might not be filled on a regular basis.

It would take quite a long time for Greece to exit the Euro Monetary Fund and go back to the Drachma.

Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
Euros apparently as the banks may start limiting the amount people can withdraw and that his why ATMs may be closed or limited.

Offline chezphil

• cant wait
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
I agree with Terry cash will be the safest option this summer,it maybe scaremongering but if enough people listen then a run on the Greek banks might be indefatable just like Cyprus. Remember if like me, this is your hard worked for family holiday why take a chance on it being spoilt or the worry of what if whilst you are there. I for one will being taking my money in euro's, so I can enjoy relax in my favourite place and spend it in the local economy. Being an old scout nothing with being prepared.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »
Negg
I"m not a financial expert and I do not watch the news or read newspapers for the last few years....
If I were a UK bank I would advise all uk travelers to change their sterlins in to euros in the Uk not in Greece.... the profit of the exchange rate is staying in the country's bank. If you all take sterlings abroad and have them exchanged there.... then theprofit is on the Greek (eurozone) bank.
 The sterlin would be getting weaker if a lot of pounds goes abroad and vice versa.

That's a roole we learned at school when I was about 17 years old...  just a thought. perhaps today's economics have changed.

Never the less, Greece remains one of the safest and full of hospitality  countries in the world.! With or with out cash you are going to have a great time especialy in Arillas.....

If you ever run out of money you can always pay us later or next year. I'm sure some of you have done it allready in teh past.

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
I agree with Chezpil - better to be safe than sorry. We had intended to take plenty anyway as the Euro has had such a good rate we have been buying some every month in preparation.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
I'll take the time to read those articles, around the end of October , Terry. (Not sure which year though!)

When the last big "scare" was going on , around April/May , we were in the throes of buying a "new to us" car. One "scare" said that Greek banks had no money to issue ,but we were able to take, over the counter, a large 4 figure sum. The next day we took 500e each from a cash point in Sidari.

Did I not read , a topic somewhere, that said 2 more cashpoints now in Ag.Stephanos?. Surely not for decoration purposes only?

It is true , however that more "ex-pats" are returning to the UK. Mainly not due to any euro scare but because most are uneasy with the constant changes in tax law and various unknown bills and land tax etc etc . Frustrating, for example, not being able to pay a water bill because the system is down and then being fined 2e for a late payment. A definite WOTSTHATALLABOUT. (Frustration we deal with in Corfu much better than the UK)

I am sure you'll update yourself with all the gen when you're here and separate the piffle from the waffle! - I love these words.
Be well , may see you , either in a Punto or look out for a "boy racer" in a white Fiesta.
Cheers
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
Never the less, Greece remains one of the safest and full of hospitality  countries in the world.! With or with out cash you are going to have a great time especialy in Arillas.....

If you ever run out of money you can always pay us later or next year. I'm sure some of you have done it allready in teh past.

No situation would stop me going to Arillas, and the words of Dimitris are so true. You can't put a price on the safety and hospitality of Arillas, but I am now tempted to run out of money every time we eat at Brouklis. :-)

Booking.com