Author Topic: overload of sun beds and new rules on beach  (Read 24050 times)

Offline cairnsa

overload of sun beds and new rules on beach
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:16 PM »
New for this year two rows of sun beds on the beach as far as the eye can see!  Not a good lookreminds you of benidorm.   New rules on not being able to play certain games on beach i.e.  Bat and ball boulles etc.  Not the arillas we know and have loved for over 25 years.   who is making all these rules!

Offline BAJ

Re: overload of sun beds and new rules on beach
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Is swimming and laughing allowed? Who enforces these bans? Glad weve got our second week in Agios Stefanos in that case!

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »
There has been 2 rows when we have been the last 2 years. I think it depends on what time of year you go as to how wide the beach is. Sounds like no room for games if beach narrow which is a shame.

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:14:17 AM »
I remember the beach games form a few years back.

The football bouncing off yer head when yer reading or just taking it easy , with many, many apologies to follow afterwards and again, and again.
The sand sprayed over you when someone over reaches when trying a return "Tennis" shot. Those were the days.

But, seriously with apologies for my sense of humour. if the beach narrows? then move some of those games to the sea.
(Although cricket may be difficult - but not as difficult as the England Team find - No rain stop play here as an excuse)

Anyway CAIRNSA - I wish you well on your first posting for 25 years. As I also do with BAJ.

However, and my personal opinion is that there are far too many sunbeds. Not many places for those who want to stick a towel / mat on the beach have a quick swim and a quick relax and then move on.

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »
For my half-pennyworth....

I also hate too many rows of sunbeds and brollies. But it is a very controversial subject. Many want and use them, and are happy to pay the 5 euros or so which makes a living for the owners. Arillas will never again be the hippy, anything goes, totally alternative venue it might have been in the seventies. 40+ years later it has to be different, or it would not exist. I would like to see the main sea front area delivering the holiday experience like a vast majority want. Including the sunbeds. The alternative seekers (like me) will use the far ends of the beach and not impose on the rest. But then most of us always have.

As for rules.... I am a total rebel, and see "rules" as a red rag. I do my best not to impinge on others, but wait to be "enforced" before I obey. Arillas is NOT about regimenting people, it is about accommodating them. But within reason. And they rely on us to behave sensibly.

Oh dear, guilty as charged m'lud....
Phil

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
this is an interesting controversial topic again... the following article concerning another island is worth reading and maight explain some of your thoughts.
http://www.grreporter.info/en/golden_chaos_beach_concessions/12549

Many consider the "chair-umbrella-beach restaurant" combination as a sufficient reason to avoid beaches. However, letting out beaches brings a decent revenue to municipalities and the state every year. The problem is that, like everything else in the country, this market every year is organised at the last minute or even after the tourist season has started. Furthermore, control is rarely exercised, usually after a warning or an accident. This year is no exception, as the relevant ministries have significantly delayed the issuance of the required resolution. However, the situation is further compounded by the decision of Chamber E of the Council of State (the Supreme Administrative Court of Greece), which declares unconstitutional the procedure by which the state grants to the municipalities the right to let out beaches.

The story goes like this: the beaches in the country belong to the state that, in each separate case, decides on the activities that will be carried out on them (e.g. port activities) or on their long-term concession (e.g. to a hotel). Letting out beaches for "common use", i.e. for the purpose of entertainment, with umbrellas, chairs and other necessary temporary objects is an exception. Each year the state grants to the municipalities the right to dispose of the beaches based on certain rules (keeping their public nature, minimum distances, etc.). Municipalities in turn offer to individuals the beaches for concession and pay the state 20% of revenue.
This year, the problem is that the issuance of the relevant resolution is delayed. "It was supposed to be issued as early as February!", Lefkada Mayor Kostas Drakondaidis is indignant. "Dozens of requests from different hotels, cafes and other individuals have already been received. Signing the contracts, however, requires a procedure that takes time. There have been years when tenants informally begin to exploit the beach in June and the contract is signed in August. Of course, no rent may be requested for the period before signing the contract. Hence, both the state and the municipalities lose revenue. Furthermore, the delay often results in squatting, i.e. some "cowboys" squat on the beach and nobody can drive them out."

The procedure by which the state entitles the municipalities to let out the beaches has certain advantages, but only if it is triggered in time. Following a complaint by the Athens Bar, Chamber E of the Council of State considers that there are serious problems in connection with the procedure (Decision № 646/2015). According to the Supreme Administrative Court, the collective concession of all beaches "does not ensure the protection of coastal ecosystems that are threatened by overexploitation, nor does it preserve their common use." Because of the significance of this issue, the case has been transferred to the seven-member composition of Chamber E, the meeting of which is scheduled for 3 June 2015.

The decision of the Supreme Administrative Court reflects a reality, namely the unacceptable condition of the beaches, especially in tourist areas and even in strictly protected areas. On the other hand, control is minimal to non-existent. "If you ask who is in charge of controls - the municipality, cadastre office, port authorities or the police - no one can answer you", says the Mayor of Lefkada.

In 2013, the Ministry of Finance decided to define the local cadastral offices as jointly responsible for concessions. The reason was the belief that the amount paid by the municipalities to the state was insignificant compared to their actual revenue, most of which was obtained under the counter. Indeed, revenue immediately increased but the functioning of the cadastre offices was literally paralyzed. "A service with one or two employees who are responsible for 50 beaches or 10 islands is unable to carry out inspections. Let us not forget that the cadastre offices have many other obligations, such as the demarcation of beaches, letting out public buildings, etc., which they perform with a small staff, " the head of an office located on an island, who wished to remain anonymous, told the newspaper Kathimerini.

"So, we just sit and watch what happens. If there had been five teams of officials to go round the islands in the summer and check the concessions of the beaches, the state would have had much more revenue and the beaches would have surely been in a better condition than today's chaos."

As for the rules and regulations another article can tell us a few things
http://news.gtp.gr/2015/04/16/businesses-follow-new-rules-when-renting-space-greek-beaches/
The Greek ministries of Finance and Interior recently signed a decision that includes new rules for businesses interested in renting spaces on beaches to operate bars and cafes, local press reports said on Thursday.

According to the decision, Greek municipalities will be allowed to rent a space on a beach to an enterprise for up to two years. However, they will be obliged to share a sum of the revenues they receive from such agreements with the state (from 20 to 30 percent).
Stricter rental rules

Beaches_walkways_1The decision also sets out terms and conditions in regards to the types of structures that can be placed on beach sections when rented for commercial purposes.

Sunbeds and beach umbrellas must now be placed in a five meter distance from the sea as opposed to last year’s three-meter distance restriction.

Tables and chairs are no longer allowed to be placed on beaches by enterprises, while decking is banned as well, unless it is to construct wooden walkways for bathers. Enterprises will also not be allowed to put up awnings or other shade structures on the section they are renting.

In addition, only 15 square meters of space (as opposed to 30 square meters last year) can be rented to mobile canteens. The canteens are also forbidden to have sound installations.
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
Thanks Dimitris. It sounds therefore that the people/businesses who are renting sections of the beach are therefore maybe trying to impose rules regarding beach games as they want the space for renting out sundbeds which makes sense. Like Eggy says however there is always the sea. My husband and my daughter always play bat and ball in the sea rather than on the sand as you don't feel like you are disturbing anyone then.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
Ps - could they also ban people playing music on their phones without earphones or so loud that even with earphones you can hear it. I love nothing more than listening to the sound of the sea and it drives me crazy when people do not use ear phones and expect you to like the same music as them. We had someone last year staying at the same accommodation who did this whilst sunbathing by the Pool - it is so inconsiderate. Just use your earphones! Rant over.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
I never use a sunbed and if i cannot sit on the beach without sitting on a sunbed then i would have to look at other destinations,But hopefully the area of the beach we use will not have any
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline billyd

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:04:21 PM »
Yes sun beds galore this year, but if you go to the south beach that Petros looks after (past the Grazella) the beds are spaced out nicely. The sea today was calm and you could see the fish when wading over waist deep. So if you want get away from the multi lines of beds,go south.... You can also have ample to play beach games!

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 01:25:49 AM »
Sunbeds and beach umbrellas must now be placed in a five meter distance from the sea as opposed to last year’s three-meter distance restriction.

Tables and chairs are no longer allowed to be placed on beaches by enterprises, ........ Enterprises will also not be allowed to put up awnings or other shade structures on the section they are renting.

If the beach is the same as last year, I'm not sure that some 'Enterprises' are operating legally.

I think there are definitely too many sunbeds crammed on the beach now, along with the 'semi-permanent' sunbeds, (illegal?)shades and tables which extend far too far across the beach.
As someone else said, it's beginning to resemble less desirable resorts.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »

Hi All

last year near the kaloudis entrance on the beach rows of sun beds we had our grandson with us we do not like sunbeds so we put our towels down near the waters edge in no ones way people could walk past our grandson was in the sea in no time a greek man came up to us and said you can not sit there this area for sunbed users only THAT WAS IT FOR ME I ARGUED  it was getting a bit heated he said if i want to sit in this area i got to have a sunbed i told him to stick the sunbed up your ----- i think you can guess i would make the sunbed fit Billy was getting upset so we left the beach and back to Tria Adelphia. Arillas is changing some good some bad i hope Arillas does not change like Ipsos and Kassiopi Ipsos was the fast place we went 1980 a few shops and tavernas a small fishing village i know things have to change please not to much

Kevin

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »
Been on the beach today and we had sunbeds owned by kostas on the beach. They are 7 Euros 50 for 2 sunbeds and an umbrella. Also gave us a large bottle of water and an orange juice each. There was still room for people to put towels down and no one said anything to them.

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Reading the forum this year it already sounds like things are changing in Arillas and as a few people have voiced that for first time visitors to Arillas it might not seem to be the place we have all raved about for so long. Understand times change but it was the laid back attitude of the place that draws people back. Might not be the case so much anymore.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »
Here now Ness and this 6th visit since 2002. I  know some people have been twice as often or even three times as much but as far as I am concerned nothing chsnged that much and still as fantastic as ever.

Booking.com