Author Topic: recommendations wanted  (Read 45233 times)

Offline gailandgraham

recommendations wanted
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
Hi

We are a mid 50s couple, never been to Corfu before but booked flights for early September 2016. We like good tavernas, some nightlife but not banging and like the look of Arillas and think we will stay there.
I know everyone has a different opinion but would welcome recommendations for self catering accommodation, studio or one bed, preferably beach front or near, Not looking for luxury but don't want very basic.

Thanks

Gail & Graham

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: recommendations wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
I would recommend Bardis Sun Studios. Not to be confused with Bardis sun hotel next door. Near the seafront. Spotlessly clean and the welcome and hospitality by the Bardis family second to none. You don't state what dates in September you have booked flights for. They usually close from 3rd week in September. Reasonably priced and good atmosphere and very friendly welcome in the bar. Everyone tends to meet in the bar for a nightcap but not noisy if you do want an early night. No children really as studios for 2 only but a child's bed can be provided.  By the sounds of what you want in a holiday - Arillas sounds right for you.  One thing is for sure you would need to book asap as a lot of Arillas visitors are regulars who book for the following year before leaving.  Which says it all.

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
My recommendation is the Tria Adelphia, it's quiet, peaceful and good food. My wife and myself have stayed there over 20 times since 1994 and have booked for next year, but if you want to stay you are best to book early as with Bardis Sun Studios many returners book whilst they are there for the following year.
It is usually about 15 minutes walk to the beach but can take me over 2 hours depending on how many people I meet and as you walk past the bakery, well the waft of fresh bread is makes the walk well worth it.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »
Marina hotel or apartments or mirage both overlooking sea.
Or kaloudis right at the far end of village, no sea view but very quiet set in lovely gardens. Wherever you stay, you will have a good time, as everyone is so friendly
Ger x

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Lots of recommendations Gail & Graham. Like Ger says no matter where you stay you will find a warm welcome. I would just think about whether you have perhaps got to that stage in your life where like us you would prefer accommodation where it is mainly couples only. We have stayed ther twice at Kaloudis when kids younger and found a lot of noise from the  bar and music playing by the pool which if you like quiet to read may not be for you. Having said that there are many people on the forum who stay year after year. The mirage is also mainly for families. Having said that in September kids will be back at school. I sound like an old foggie but our kids still go with us on holiday even though they are 25 and 22. Until the Grandkids come along I am enjoying kid free zones. Lol.

Online Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
We love Tria too but I don't think you can go far wrong with any accommodation in Arillas....

Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:23:17 PM »
Hi Gail and Graham Welcome to the forum
First time in Corfu and you choose Arillas  ......Well you are in for a Fantastic time in a Fabulous place

Rainbow for us
Good Location, 500 yards from the beach 
Excellent Hosts   
Clean and tidy
Pool Bar that caters for All
Good Food

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
We stay at Kaloudis village, in Roula's private apartments  -never bothered by noise at all. The are in the first block, with her private accommodation and 3 larger apartments (on the books of Thomson) underneath.  She has 3 private apartments on the upper floor. Spotlessly clean, 2 bedrooms and aircon, minutes from the beach.  However, as a result they are extremely popular and are booked for most of next summer (and 2017 getting full!!), may get lucky for September!  My mum and her partner stay there too - and they can't abide noise.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 02:40:07 PM »
You see Gail & Graham, like I said lots of people return to Kaloudis year after year andwe enjoyed it so much that is why we booked the second time. Glad that tgings a lot better now with the noise but unfortunately that was not our experience on our second stay there when we were in the apartments next to the bar. Have they stopped playing music by the pool Steph. I must admit I like quiet to read by the pool and if I want to listen to music then be able to choose my own and listen through headphones so that I don't inflict my taste in  music on everyone else.

Offline Ron and Sue

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
Must agree with John & Dot.We have had 2 holidays at Rainbow this year and have booked 4 weeks for 2016,2 of which are first two weeks in September.You cannot beat the hosts, the atmosphere and the food.Hope you enjoy your first time in Arillas wherever you stay.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
We don't use Kaloudis pool, Sharon so I don't know about the music.  I would assume it's still as it was. The pool at Kaloudis is lovely but just gets too busy for me and the sunbeds are too regimented! We prefer to go to Sharon's (opposite the Marina hotel) as - nice atmosphere, reasonable prices, breeze from the sea and can easily go for a paddle/swim.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »
Love Rainbow and Kaloudis. Never stayed at Mirage but had a look at their apartments and they are lovely and beach front.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 11:44:08 PM »
Used the kaloudis pool a few times this September, led at the end of the pool under the olive trees, can honestly say didn't hear any music it was really nice and peaceful. Our studio was at the top of the complex above the bar, weren't bothered by music there either!
Just enjoy yourselves, you're on holiday after all.
Ger x

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 11:44:50 PM »
Gail and Graham
I'm sure you've noticed that you are spoilt for choice for fantastic accommodation in Arillas...great choice, you will love it! I really don't think you'll be disappointed wherever you decide to stay.
Please try not to take too much notice of the negative reviews of the Kaloudis village, especially when someone has only ever had one bad experience. We have stayed there 3 times and have booked again for next year. I can honestly say we have never experienced any disturbing noise from the pool bar during the night.
We prefer to use the beach during the day but on the odd occasion when we have used the pool and bar during the day ,we have always found it to be peaceful and relaxing. The whole complex is immaculate, friendly and is set in the most beautiful gardens and is almost on the beach front!
Everyone has their preferred choice of accommodation and I've only ever stayed in the Kaloudis but negative comments can have a detrimental effect on a family business which is a great shame when they are working extremely hard to please their guests and ensure that they have a fabulous holiday.They don't deserve it!
I hope you manage to find the accommodation that suits you but wherever you stay I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
One thing for sure is, you won't be disappointed with Arillas!

Suzy X

Online Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
I don't think anyone has said anything particularly bad about Kaloudis anyway, certainly nothing that would put me off the place.
I just think they have expressed an opinion about the volume of the music, if they think its loud , they think its loud I suppose.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Booking.com