Author Topic: What 1 thing would you change about Arillas if u had the power to?(If anything!)  (Read 22742 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
This is a really good question, Lewis.   We`ve thought about this a few times and not come up with much.  However, I will offer an answer to your question.   
  It seems to us that some places could do with a spruce up, coat of paint, updating etc.   I know building improvements go on in the off-season, which is great.  Of course, any improvements are constrained by costs, which is understandable. For new people to be attracted, though, it`s the first impression that counts, so some small things could be improved.
 Have to say that each year that we have returned, we`ve noticed things which add to the village. Agree with Eggy when he mentions the road conditions leading to the place.  Needs a bit of sorting.
  Overall, the character and the people is still the same - a warm welcome wherever you go. We were really lucky to discover this little gem 12 years ago.
  The issue of the two `pubs` is a tricky one but there are only two. They`re a good night out, with a great crowd of people.
  Anyway, can`t think of anything else at the moment.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
As you might expect, there is very little, if anything that Jen and I would want to change. Just one maybe - a serious bus service around the local area would enhance the Arillas experience enormously. But so far (before I retire in July) we have only had enough time to be in Arillas when we are there for only 3 weeks, and might not have used it much. But I suspect that many more would be glad to hop between Agios Gorgios, San Stefanos and Sidari for an economical fare.

Phil

Offline indigo648

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Last year there was a bus service between the resorts it was really handy.

Offline Jez

Speed bumps Neill? Its hard enough keeping my moped upright as it is!

Jez

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Speed bumps Neill? Its hard enough keeping my moped upright as it is!

Jez

But a lot easier for yer "Wheelies" , Jez.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
Now you mention it Phil, yes, a bus around the nearby resorts would make my time there even more perfect. To be able to hop on one to get to Afionas/San George/San Stef would add to the whole experience. I don't mind the walk to and from San Stefanos that much, but I don't get to Afionas and San George nearly as much as I'd like. The less mobile would surely appreciate it too.

It wouldn't have to be anything other than a 12 seater, due to the roads, and I'm convinced it would be a lucrative income for someone. What are you planning on doing when you retire there Phil??

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
Sorry Sonia, I meant to say thanks.

I've stayed at the Bardis Sun in the past and given them a bag of washing which has magically appeared back to my studio, later the same day, nicely clean and fresh smelling . One month there does mean that I have, at some point, to give some things a proper wash. Especially my one and only beach towel that does get grubby and smelly! I do rinse it in the shower, but it's not the same as a machine wash. 

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
Good question - but to be honest, I wouldn't really want to change anything about Arillas.  What keeps me coming back (and recommending to others) is how small, friendly, charming and Greek Arillas is.   Yes maybe a better bus service to other villages for those who don't/don't want to drive would be a perk, but then surely an increase in visitors to Arillas may change what we love about it??
I think the people who live and work there are best placed to make improvements or changes, taking into account the feedback from the tourist questionnaire. The showers and changing rooms on the beach are great, so is the improved access and the information boards.
So, I wouldn't change a thing - other than having a house there! :D

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
I have had to think hard as Arillas is so great and obviously that is why we all keep going back but I would like to see the bakery more in the centre of Arillas. It is such a long walk in the heat. I know some probably enjoy the walk - those who get up early and walk before it gets too hot but I'm sure it would do more business if it was in the centre. Even if the bakery itself remained where it was but had a liitle shop in centre - perhaps one of the units opposite Brouklis that Val referred to.

Offline wissettlewis

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
I would like to see a bar that serves purely just smoothies/milkshakes! I also agree with one of the previous comments that the music can get too loud in the coconut & malibu. I love my music but it would be good to be able to talk to eachother without shouting! That said if you fancy a quiet evening you can always venture to ammos, which i did more often than i ever have last year.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
There actually was boat hire last year from the beach Jeffers which seemed to be doing a good trade. The bakery can be a bit of a treck but there again it makes me walk off the delicious pan du chocolate lol. I agree from a purely aesthetic point of view that no cars on the seafront would be much nicer, perhaps utilising the land next to Portofino as a car park would be an idea? But I also like seeing the Greek / Italian families arriving with their kids and beach paraphernalia whilst sipping a lunchtime drink (or three lol). As for the coconut music I am usually sat in it enjoying Kosta's 18 year old  playlist haha (brown eyed girl anyone?;))

Offline jeffers

Thank you JO I was there in September  Did not see to many boats for hire . That's typical of me tho walking round with my eyes closed  lol  I will try again this year in June /July
       Jeffers
Corfu island is a wonderful place full of lovely people.  if only the whole world was like Corfu it would be a much better place

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC

Lewis... I like Ammos too, but Beach Point is lovely, great coffee for me and a fine choice of beers for Bill and the cakes are to die for, all the food they do is good, crispy chips and the best Gyros in Arillas mmm.

They one thing that Bill wishes for is the dark beer from the brewery to be on draught instead of bottled, as it's his favourite drink.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Steve & Carole

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Hi Val, it's got to be a mega gyros at Beachpoint ! x

Offline billyd

I have to agree with Terry, the Coconut and Malibu bars are a little out place in Arillas.
But anything that slows down the nutters along the seafront would get my vote.

Billyd

Booking.com