Author Topic: Greece with Simon Reeve  (Read 8788 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Greece with Simon Reeve
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »
Did anyone catch this the other night and if so what were your thoughts?

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: Greece with Simon Reeve
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »
Enjoyed it. Parts of it were an eye-opener, weren`t they?  Well balanced view of Greece, I thought. She`s having a tough time now but she's seen worse times and will prevail.  Change has to take place, though, or austerity and being controlled by Brussels might continue for a long time. 

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »
Damn I missed it!

Suzy x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:59:24 PM »

And me Suzy....I don't watch much TV but really wish I had seen this. Hope they repeat it.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:29:52 PM »
Is it not on catch up?

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
What channel was it originally on?

Suzy x

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:40:16 PM »
Just found that it's on BBC I Player

Suzy X

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
Thanks Suzy.  I will try and watch on catch up then and let you know what I think.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:00:45 PM »
I sat and didn't move a muscle for the whole hour. What can I say? A no holds barred view of a European country in crisis, to say the least. It made me want to go and assist all those children arriving in barely floating dinghy's from their war torn homeland. All I can do is spend my Euros there - I wish there was more I could do.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 12:00:19 AM »
 I Have just watched this programme and not at all what I was expecting but compelling viewing all the same. Maybe I've been naive as I was completely shocked at some of the issues raised regarding the Greek financial crisis and also the on going migration crisis. Extremely emotional viewing!
 Looking forward to the next episode.

Suzy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
I had mixed feelings about the programme.  Like others I had expected a lovely nostalgic look at Greece and something to promote the country but as many have said it was shocking to watch.  Whilst I am not trivialising the content at all obviously, I cant help feeling that it will do little for Greek tourism as if you had not visited before you would be very unlikely to do so after watching that programme I feel.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
This may be controversial but I had a similar conversation on Tripadvisor a couple of months ago.
IF we were all truly so concerned about the migrants perhaps we should all give up our holidays and give the money we save to a charity that supports them...........
I often feel guilty expressing my concerns and doing very little /nothing for these people BUT I am afraid you have to look after your own first and foremost.
And by the way , I have used the "If I didn't go to Greece and gave my money to charity then the Greeks would suffer!" excuse a lot....... and its a lame excuse when the truth is I just want to holiday there !
PLEASE take on board I am not having a go at anyone here with this post , other than perhaps myself :-(
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
same here, not what i was expecting, i certainly would not have felt comfortable holidaying in lesbos! it certainly was a warts and all programme. like you said might put people off going to greece.
very interested to see what the next episode holds.
ger x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »
Lesvos used to be our "main" Greek island , have been there about 10 times.
My parents went in July and said it was sad to see all of the refugees there. I was talking on the Lesvos Tripadvisor forum where I had a conversation similar to this.
Another point I made then is that these people are desperate and although I have no doubt the vast majority are warm good people BUT its amazing what you will do for your family to keep them safe/warm/fed ........  Having my parents in their 70's being in and around a main influx area for the refugees , I must admit , worried me a little.........
They would be a fairly easy target for someone desperate for euros to feed their family.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
I found the documentary a bit disjointed. though it was important to underline the issues that don't get reported in the press, or some holiday makers are not aware of, it could have been a bit more balanced.
Careless words can have an effect...for example York floods were not as drastic as shown in the news, but as soon as our councillors say stay away, that's what people are doing yet the city is open for business, business it needs desperately. Tourism is a big part of the Greek economy,like Yorks,  and I know not everyone will do research and some people do believe what they read and take it literally.

However, some of the places the guy visited looked spectacular, I wouldn't mind seeing some of it for myself.

Booking.com