Author Topic: Day Trip ideas.  (Read 4897 times)

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Day Trip ideas.
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
I will be in Arillas in early August. Can anyone recommend any good tours of the island. I have a very patient 9 year old with me who, like myself, is in to Greek history. Thanks in advance.

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Day Trip ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
We have done the boat trip to Corfu town which is really nice giving you about 3 hours to explore the town. They sail down the coast which is beautiful and if you are lucky get to see some Dolphins. Or how about the day in Albania we have never done this one but I am sure there are plenty who have and will give you their verdict.
Pauline x

Offline Sparky

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
Can I suggest you hire a car and go for a circular tour of the north of the island ?  There is the heritage village of Old Perithia which is interesting to roam around and there are several good restaurants there to eat in, though the drive upto it is a little hairy in places.  From there you are close to Kassiopi which has a castle you can wonder around, and there is also the old church on the lagoon close by. You pass by Kensington-on-Sea and down to Dassia before making the return to Arillas.  The main road is OK most of the way.  A visit to Paleo is also worth the effort.  The roads or not usually that busy compared to the UK so long as you aren't trying to get through Corfu Town. A walk up to Afionas with your son on a 'snake and lizard spotting duty'  is OK and plenty of refreshment opportunities once you get there.

Offline NickBoardman

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
We have done the boat trip to Corfu town which is really nice giving you about 3 hours to explore the town. They sail down the coast which is beautiful and if you are lucky get to see some Dolphins. Or how about the day in Albania we have never done this one but I am sure there are plenty who have and will give you their verdict.
Pauline x

Thank you for the suggestions. I have always fancied Albania, I may give it a go.

Offline NickBoardman

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
Can I suggest you hire a car and go for a circular tour of the north of the island ?  There is the heritage village of Old Perithia which is interesting to roam around and there are several good restaurants there to eat in, though the drive upto it is a little hairy in places.  From there you are close to Kassiopi which has a castle you can wonder around, and there is also the old church on the lagoon close by. You pass by Kensington-on-Sea and down to Dassia before making the return to Arillas.  The main road is OK most of the way.  A visit to Paleo is also worth the effort.  The roads or not usually that busy compared to the UK so long as you aren't trying to get through Corfu Town. A walk up to Afionas with your son on a 'snake and lizard spotting duty'  is OK and plenty of refreshment opportunities once you get there.

Sounds great. I'm going to copy this email as a reminder! Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:51:04 PM »
nick go into olgas or arkokal travel where all the info will be to suit your needs ,,yiammas

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:04:47 AM »
Last year we went to Pagi. Not so much of a day trip but if you get a car there is a Restaurant there called Romeos where we had one of  the most authentic Greek meals we have ever had. There was a scene in a James Bond film which was filmed there -  For your Eyes Only . There is a 007 restaurant there but it just does toasties and snacks. Sunset beach is also beautiful which is near Sadari. There is a restaurant there with a glass platform that strutts out over the cliffs. The beach is extremely beautiful.

Offline Chris G

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 01:09:47 AM »
If your hiring a car may i suggest a trip to Angelokastro a ruined castle near Krini village, Karini is a small village on the road from St George's bay to Paleokastritsa off a side road from Makrades, the views from the castle are stunning. there is a small cafe there for a refreshing drink  a snack or meal should you desire. The walk up to the castle is not to strenuous but do take a bottle of water with you. The road through Karini is quite narrow however this is a pretty little village and well worth a stroll around.

What ever you do enjoy, this is a stunning island once away from the tourist areas.

Booking.com