Author Topic: Corfu, not a scorcher!  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Eclectic_Blue

Corfu, not a scorcher!
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
I'm not quite as much an Arillas expert as many of you on here - I've only stayed there for the last 12 years at Anna's and been to Corfu on another 9 or 10 occasions! - but having 'done' Corfu so many times in the summer, I wondered what it would be like in winter. So in January 2015, I finally made the trip and I've written a book about it.

The book is out on Kindle and due to be published in book form this week. There's a fair bit about Arillas - I saw the Krasaki family and Dimitris when I was over and all of them were typically generous with their time - and many other resorts including Kavos (now that was an experience!) and the back cover has a photo of me in Arillas, taken by Tasos Krasaki.

The book is called Corfu, not a scorcher! by me, Rick Johansen. I'm a former civil servant from Bristol, but don't let that put you off! I hope you enjoy it!

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corfu-not-scorcher-winter-ramble-ebook/dp/B01DSF93ME/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459793840&sr=1-1&keywords=corfu+not+a+scorcher

Online soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Corfu, not a scorcher!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:02 PM »
I don't think any of us think of ourselves as experts Rick but rather just Arillas Addicts. Your book sounds interesting. I will definitely order it.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
I've just downloaded it Rick. Thanks

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
I'll be buying the book Rick. With subject matter such as this, it's bound to be a best seller :-)

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
Another one of my one of many books yet to read Rick...I usually read books about Greece or the Greek Islands during my time there so this will be a great read when my husband and in the Arillas this year!

Suzy x

Online soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Is it only available on Kindle Rick?

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »
I am off work this week with a dose of the flu! But that does mean i have time on my hands, so this morning i downloaded your book onto martins kindle (i don't have one!) I am loving it!! And what a coincidence, written by a gashead!!!!
Martin can't wait for me to finish it so he can read it.  We will have to look out for you in arillas so martin can talk about his other favourite subject whilst on holiday...UTG!!!!
Ger

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Likewise, I`ve just downloaded it.  Looking forward to reading it   :-)

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Eclectic_Blue

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:59 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words.

The book is available on paper too, my own preferred option (I am very old fashioned).

Sadly, we won't be in Arillas or anywhere else in Corfu this year because our oldest son is graduating from Uni and the youngest is starting Uni.

Arillas is very special in our hearts and I hope I've done some justice to the place on the pages.

Really appreciate your support, guys!

Rick

PS  UTG

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:26 PM »
Hi Rick, I've read the book
My very uneducated feedback is that there is far too much duplication. The final third of the book is almost word for word repeated from earlier in the book. Likewise your comments regarding Kavos are repeated on numerous times. Maybe get an editor to read through it & do a reprint? Hope you take this feedback as it's meant.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:06:09 AM »
I'm sure he will be thrilled lol

Offline Charlieos07

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
Enjoyed Rick's Book even though I was at first disappointed that he was looking back over previous holidays in summer rather than the topic of the book which is the winter months. However he is witty and full of anecdotes and you soon become immersed in his story. He creates great atmosphere in the rain sodden streets of Corfu and meets ex pats with stories to tell.

I agree with Paul above that the last part of the book was a repetition of what had gone before but am looking forward to the next one as Rick has an easy to read writing style.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
Hi Rick, read it in Arilla's the week before last, enjoyed reding about your trip and some things very entertaining. (although agreeing with post above. The best part of all for me was Dimi.s face when I showed it to him. xx

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com