Author Topic: Sun cream bargains?  (Read 10336 times)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
Sun cream bargains?
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »
Have you started to buy your bits and bobs yet? Will you let me know if you come across any bargains? Has anyone tried the Aldi sun cream? Also, the ammonia sticks, can we buy them here? I find that the odd bite I get disappears quite quickly with them. Thanks!

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Sun cream bargains?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
Good old home bargains has piz buin £4.99, Nivea £3.99, Hawaiian tropic £3.99. No idea why anyone would pay £12 for the exact same bottle in places like boots or even the supermarkets. Body care has similar

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
Thanks Jo

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »

Home Bargain is the cheapest for all the brands of sun cream as Jo said. I burn very easily but over the years have found Piz Bruin Once a Day really does work. You still have to remember to re-apply after swimming as with all Sun creams. I will be using it in 13 days time,  (just thought I would remind you) but if anyone is there at the same time just say hello😀

Val x

Val
The love affair continues.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
Thanks Val - Home Bargains will be getting a visit from me :-)

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
I bought my suncream last week. Nivea - 2 for £9 at  Asda and I thought that was cheap. It will be factor 30 for me the whole time having just watched my Mum have 6 months of cancer treatment for secondary cancer in her lymph nodes in her groin. The cancer being secondary to malignant melanoma. She had major surgery to remove all her lumph nodes and last week finished 6 weeks of radiotherapy. I don't want to scare people but it is like watching someone put their  hand in a fire when I see people with sunburn. It is easily done and I did it last year. Please have a wonderful but safe time in the sun.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »

Wise words Sonia, and I do hope your Mum makes a good recovery.
 I have always been very careful in the sun, high factor, sunshade and a hat when out walking. We have the ginger gene in our family so it makes me very cautious. My son is ginger and his sons are blonde as is his wife. Daughter is blonde (but dyes her hair darker now), but her sons are darker taking after their Dad. So over the years there have some sunburn crisis.

Different Sun creams suit different skin so if you find one that works for you stick with it as it's usually later in life that the damage shows up.

Val x

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
Thanks Val. M!y mum has never been a sin worshipper but is of that generation where suncream was not used when she was growing up. She is also Irish and apparently more prevalent in people of Celtic decent.

Offline ValL

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »
The supermarket own brands usually score best regarding protection than most of the big brands. Have used Asda, Sainsburys, Wilkos - all are really good value and work. My friend in Austria always buys her sunscreen in Aldi
Arillas visitor since 2004 🍹☀️

Offline Steve & Carole

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »
Ooooh Sonia ......."Thanks Val. M!y mum has never been a sin worshipper" !!!   

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
Yeah Steve as usual didn't have my glasses on but I'm sure u worked it out.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:23:31 PM »
It was only last week that I happened to do a bit of research on sun cream, Val. And, as you say. it turns out that most of the cheaper brands are all round better protection and value. After years of spending vast amounts on Piz Buin and similarly priced products, it'll be Home Bargains and Aldi for me from now on.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:52:24 PM »
I think the important thing is that it has UVA and UVB protection as some just UVA. I have gone for Nivea this time  as it has immediate protection.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »
I tried Aldi sun cream 3 years ago as it was voted no.1 by - WHICH- I can honestly say it's the best sun cream that my hubby and I have ever used and at £2.99 it's an absolute bargain!
They do a  factor 30 in the cream spray and factor 15 in the dry sun oil spray  which isn't at all greasy. Absolutely brilliant sun protection cream and oil!
Give it a try!

Suzy X

p.s ...BTW I don't work at Aldi or have shares in them. HA! HA!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »

Suzy, Bill prefers the dry oil spray so it's off to Aldi in the morning. Thanks.

Val x

Booking.com