Author Topic: 18 years and counting..  (Read 9475 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
18 years and counting..
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
Counting down until our annual return to Arillas. How is it possible to still be so ridiculously excited when I know what is coming? People say to me why oh why go back when there are so many other beautiful places to see? I say try it for yourself and then ask me the same question.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: 18 years and counting..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
Twelve years since we discovered this little place in NW Corfu - Each visit just as good as the first.  Agree with you Jo, people have to go and then they will know.

Roll on June 27  :-)

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
14 years for Jen and me. Dare I suggest, the best and most fulfilling 14 years of our varied and eclectic lives. Never the same, but always there, Arillas has been a solid focus for us ever since we first sat on the steps of Thalassa to be welcomed at 10am by Yannis Goudelis. July 2002, when we first arrived. He and Litsa now have Evdemon in Afionas and still provide fabulous food and wine.

Excited Jo? Oh yes. 14 years on it is still as good for us, and yous too. Perfect holidays, but now Jen and me want to live the life, the community and be a part of it. How that develops will be the future posts on forum................

Phil

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »
Yes Jo there are other beautiful places in the world but no where like Arillas. We are fortunate to have been able to visit other places this year too - the beautiful Antrim coast where I was born and grew up and a mini break to Bruges but I am the most excited about going back to Arillas. It's the people and the food mainly that draw me back each time.

Offline Andy and Claire

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »
We first discovered Arillas in 2004 and were instantly addicted and returned year after year for the next 5 years. However due to the recession and one thing and another we were unable to visit since, until this year and we can't wait. We will be staying at the Mirage (for the first time) for two weeks from the 30th June. We hope not much has changed since our last visit and are looking forward to the world beating hospitality, excellent food and of course the odd Mythos or two.
Andy.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »
You will love Mirage, andyandclaire. Angela and Nikos are the salt-of-the-earth and Vangelis, their chef cooks incredible food. I nearly died of pleasure eating his prawn saganaki. Much has changed in your absence, but not the style, not the atmosphere, and not the people who bring us all back again and again.

Please say hello - we will almost certainly be visible (often staring at Gravia Island from Graziella) for 3 or so weeks from 4th July for many hours each day.

Phil

Offline steve p

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
First came to Arillas in 1999 with my wife. Since then I have always tried to return at least twice a year but have had to miss out 2 years due to my late wife being poorly. Having now retired I shall be returning 3 times this year which should take me up to my 29th visit. I shall be at the rainbow this Thursday for the first of hopefully many more holidays now that I have retired.

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
I discovered Arillas in 2007, I won a cancelled holiday on Ebay! I have been to many other places but none compare with Arillas or the friendliness and quality of the Bardis family. For my crimes my first time at Mirage was in 2013, a crime, a great  family, mussels in white wine sauce for me phil, to die for at Mirage. August can't come quick enough...hope that dream comes true phil and Jen, I'm hoping in the future for myself...

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:13:48 PM »
You see Jo, you only have to mention times in Arillas and we all rush to put our memories on record. I guess the excitement wears off, but Jen and I still want to do the ordinary, not the exciting times.

Nick, we so wish we were able to entertain your dear ole dad again this year, but we will have been and gone... sadness in full here.

stevep - I retire on 1st July, and Jen and I will be in Arillas on 4th. But how it all works from then on is anybody's guess. So far a blank sheet...................

Phil

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »
Living and holidaying somewhere are two different things BUT it could be even better living there ..... until you try you will never know.....
Ask Eggy I suppose , which you obviously have ....
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 01:27:03 AM »
You're right Phil - the 'excitement' does wear off, but it's replaced by something deeper.

It's an addiction, and a need, for that Arillas fix, firmly based on the sure knowledge that as soon as you step off the plane , and the heat and the combined smell of the diesel and the vegetation hits you, you will give a big sigh and the instant relaxation will just wash over you, more than anywhere else I've ever been ( - and I'm well travelled!).

Suddenly, for an all too brief time, all is well with the world.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
My first time to Arillas was only 4 years ago. A fortnight at the first rate Bardis Sun Studios, where I spent that whole time wondering around as if in a dream come true.

Exceptional scenery, fine food and welcoming people were to be found in Skiathos, Kefalonia, Capri, Egypt ...  etc etc, and I still can't put my finger on just why this little village has put an end to my travelling. I thinkdid mention somewhere on here how in 2011 we came to Arillas for the day and that was me done for. Not even looking for somewhere to visit repeatedly, I wanted to travel to all corners of the world - there's so many other places to experience, isn't there? Not any more :-)

As yet, I'm unconvinced that my excitement will ever wear off even when I've been going for 18 years too.

Have a happy Bank Holiday Monday everyone.

Offline Andy and Claire

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply Phil, looking forward to staying at Mirage this time, we stayed at Nikos apartments on our previous visits and Vasilis and his family are exceptional hosts as are all the people of Arillas. We are bringing my mothering law with us this time who is in her seventies and thought the walk from Nikos to the beach would be too much every day which is why we looked at the Mirage. You're mention of their prawn saganaki has got my mouth watering and reminded me of all the fabulous food that is there to enjoy in Arillas ( Hooray for elasticated waistbands).
I'll be sure to say hello when passing Graziella, it's 8 weeks until we go but i'm already starting to get that Arillas buzz.

Andy.

Offline Andy and Claire

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
What terrible spelling, that should of course be mother in law. doh.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »

Predictive text Andy. Happens to me all the time 😃

Val x
The love affair continues.

Booking.com