Author Topic: Mathraki  (Read 26934 times)

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Mathraki
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
Hi
Looking at 2017, we normally book early so as to ensure we get what we want, as I know many do.
The Mathraki Apartments are not shown on the Thomson site as being available for 2017.
Has anybody booked there for next year?
I have been told that they intended to go independent for 2017.
Any news
Thanks
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Mathraki
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:18:39 PM »
I've seen the Mathraki on the Thomson website for 2017 in fact i was looking last night and they have some very competetive prices too.

Suzy x

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
Thanks
Have just looked and it now shows. As you say some good prices
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »
Hi
Have just looked at the new Mathraki website and they are offering independent bookings for 2017 from 30 euro a night.
As it is on Thomson as well, it looks as though they are now offering both options.
Geoff

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »
2017 - What To Do?

So this Year we have booked independently having stayed at the Mathraki through Thomson's the last 2 Years.

We absolutely loved the Mathraki but as we are both beach lovers we spent only a couple of days around the pool and the rest on the beach.

With this in mind we decided to look for somewhere to stay on the beach front and from reading the Forum almost every day it seemed there were bargains to be had.

However as it turned out this Year has cost us roughly £716 in accommodation and £440 in flights with transfer on top we are looking in excess of £1200 for first two weeks in July.

Admittedly our location makes it difficult to get the cheap flights I have seen mentioned but next Year the Thomson price to stay at  the Mathraki the first two weeks in July is £757 (from Doncaster) or £842 (Manchester or East Midlands with better times)

So as I'm pretty sure we will be returning to Arillas again in 2017 I have the dilemma of deciding whether the hassle & roughly extra £400 is worth it to be able to stay along the beach front.

Neil & Jill

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
Where are you staying? The key is to get the flights mega cheap the day they come out.  Based on your price though the accommodation is very reasonable I would say. I bet you couldn't get a seafront hotel in the UK for £55 a night!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »
I have always said that travelling as a couple you can quite often get a better deal on a package but for us as a family of five independent always works out much cheaper as we are sharing the apt. There are rooms in Arillas for around 20 euros (total!!) if you really look but I absolutely love being seconds away from the beach and will pay the premium for this.

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »
Hi Jo

After reading your glowing reports of the Maranaki Jill & I had a look around last Year & decided it was the place for us.

We are so looking forward to breakfast and evening drinks on our balcony looking out at the magnificent view.

I guess until we have tried it this Year we can't be sure if the £400 extra is worth it.

I suppose our best option is to wait until after this Years holiday before we look at next Years and hope the prices are still as reasonable (and there is a spare room)

Neil & Jill

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:56:44 PM »
Hi
As we know the Mathraki well, wonderful family, we have just booked for Sept 2017.
£70 cheaper  next year, with Thomson, for the same time this year, again with Thomson.
Little concerned that as they now seem to be with Thomson + taking independent bookings and taking into account its popularity, that rooms via Thomson will be limited availability.
Looking at flight only  costs this year for September it seems a far cheaper deal to go package.
(Unfortunately Nico will not be there this year as he is still in the USA waiting for an operation on his knees but I am sure that nothing will change with Akti in charge.)

Geoff

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 01:08:38 AM »
Neil I guarantee you will be in absolute bliss!

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
I agree with Jo, it's often worth paying a bit extra to have a beach front location, the Maranaki looks amazing! I've tried to book there a couple of times but unfortunately on both occasions it was fully booked, which says it all really.
When we're on the beach my husband nips up to the Maranaki to fetch a take away coffee for me! We also had a couple of drinks there one lunchtime and had a swim in the pool as the sea was very rough and cold one day after a terrific storm! All the staff and guests were very friendly and welcoming.

We've booked the Mathraki for 2017 as the prices are so good. We haven't stayed there before but the reviews look great!

We weren't planning to go to Arillas next year as we're going to a wedding in Elounda, Crete for the Spring bank holiday week which is proving quite expensive! The thought of not being able to return to Arillas next year was a little upsetting to say the least.

However, I've managed to find a good deal at the Mathraki for 10 nights at the end of July!

Suzy X

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 01:12:25 PM »
Hi
My only concern is that with Mathraki now going partially independent is that , in my view, the better rooms on the top floor will be allocated to the independent clients and the lower floor for Thomson.
The upper floor rooms  have better views and you get a nice breeze.
We have stopped in places that have far better rooms for independent customers than package tour customers.
Will get the full story when we visit this year.
One thing that will not change though is the hospitality of the family.
Geoff

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
Hi!
Hospitality goes a very long way so that's reassuring to know.

We're not too fussed about the rooms as we don't spend too much time in them and it isn't far too walk to many breathtaking views, including the beautiful beach.

Thanks anyway...btw how much is the air con?

Suzy. x

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »
Hi
If you look at their website you can see all their charges such as air con and safety deposit box
http://www.mathrakistudios.com
Geoff

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
Thanks for that Geoff

Suzy x

Booking.com