Author Topic: Music in the Coconut/Malibu  (Read 15240 times)

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
Re: Music in the Coconut/Malibu
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46:41 PM »
Haha 'slum it' that made me laugh :) When you in Arillas?
Early August mate . Usually go May but had to change dates and accommodation this year.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:09 PM »
AMMOS BAT...LOL!!!

Suzy X
Do you have to hang upside down to get a drink in there these days?
Lol

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
Ha! ha! Karl
I'm often hung over after a night out Ammos or any other bar or taverna for that matter but never hung upside down...haha!

Suzy X

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
Good reply .... like it!!  Lol

Offline annec

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
    • Random Things Through my Letterbox
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »
I wouldn't consider either Malibu or Coconut to be 'tacky'.   Both bars are run by dedicated, friendly people who are trying to make a living.
The 'music war's will never stop, it's been going on for a very long time.
My personal choice will always be Malibu, although we do drink in Ammos, and at the Mathraki Bar.
Malibu is large enough to be able to have a decent conversation, lots of places in the bar that are away from the music

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 11:11:32 PM »
I personally don't think anywhere in Arillas is tacky but even if there was a tacky bar or any other establishment,some people like tacky and that's fine cuz if they're having fun then all is good!

Suzy x

Offline annec

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
    • Random Things Through my Letterbox
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 11:18:36 PM »
I personally don't think anywhere in Arillas is tacky but even if there was a tacky bar or any other establishment,some people like tacky and that's fine cuz if they're having fun then all is good!

Suzy x

Exactly!

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 12:23:29 AM »
It always makes me laugh when people criticise bars/tavernas in Greece for "selling out" to tourism. Encouraging lager drinking tourists louts to come and watch live football on Sky Sports and then listen to music and make themselves look a bit foolish having a dance!
Bizarre that as most Greeks I know LOVE football , having a drink and a good dance.
Greece has moved on over the years and although the majority of us still want "authentic" Greek its getting harder to come by and the Greek people aren't going to stand still.
If people want to open music bars showing sky sports and playing loud music then so be it. There's obviously a demand for it from both tourists AND locals......
Luckily in Arillas you can get the best of both worlds, authentic and touristy.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
I agree. Good to have the choice and I think places like the Coconut and Malibu are particularly good for attracting  younger people visiting Arillas with a good broad taste range in music.  It's not as if they play that "boom, Boom" music - good range of music and a lot of classics. I love it. (my kids will laugh at my reference to boom, boom music. lol)

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
Whilst I don't drink in Malibu or the Nut (tend to aim for Ammos) and yes, the music is a right din at times when walking past :D  it's all part of Arillas and its charm.  No doubt my step-daughter and niece will frequent one or the other when they come out with us on our 2nd visit in August!

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
Well I've just come back from Arillas, and I don't know if it was my imagination, but I think both bars HAVE turned the volume down a touch. It could of course be that the excessive amounts of metaxa and coke have clouded my judgement somewhat!! Had a great time, never-the-less.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »
Angie meluvver (if I'm still allowed to say that) I also find the excessive noise less than it was. Like you, I can't be sure if it is true - Black Russians usually clouded mine.... (judgement that is.) So glad to read that you still espouse the important aspects of our Arillas!

Phil

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 07:19:08 PM »
Angie meluvver (if I'm still allowed to say that)

- of course you are, Phil.

Also, apart from all of your other, obvious, talents, it would seem that you're psychic as well. Looking at the time on our respective posts, it's interesting to see that you appear to have replied to my post before I made it!!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »
Just back this week it was quiet at both bars music wise
Although High summer has yet to arrive.... could be that the decibels jump up a little as summer goes on.
It's not often I use the bars but when I do I find it hard to hear what people are saying to me due to the noise.
But both places are part of Arillas and make it what it is..... I always get a warm welcome from both the Malibu and the Coconut when I do go in there 

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
OMG Angie. I would never have noticed, but I do appear to have answered you before you posted! I always knew that Arillas created magic but.................... Thank you for being my virtual friend all these years. Maybe we can share a Mythos or krasi there for real one day soon.

Ah, John. I am aurally challenged at the best of times. My many hours in the Nut are always devoid of any understanding of what is being said. I have to revert to body language to know when it is my round........ but in 14 years it has never stopped Jen and me from enjoying the glorious atmosphere that Perry, Kostas and Hanna create. Only 5 weeks until I do it all again............

Phil

Booking.com