Author Topic: Prescription Drugs  (Read 8496 times)

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
Prescription Drugs
« on: June 02, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
A strange query perhaps.

I've recently been treated for cancer & whilst I'm now in remission I still need to take a fairly regular dose of painkillers, either Ibrufen or if the pain is severe, Morphine. I've looked on various website to see if there are any restrictions but can't find a definitive answer.

Has anyone has any experience of travelling with prescription drugs to Corfu before?

I've always got the option of speaking to my CNS Nurses to see if they can provide a letter, but as I'm travelling a week today I may have left it a bit late & I'd rather not bother then again if I could help it.
Thanks.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline springs65

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Prescription Drugs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
I always take prescription strong pain killers. Keep them in my hand luggage and often bag searched at the out airport without a problem but I always take a copy of my prescription just in case.
I'm sure you will be ok

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »
I just put them in a clear bag and put through the scanner. Not had a problem.

Offline Paul Clark

• Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
Cheers guys, forgot to mention that both are in liquid form, over 100ml & I don't have an up to date prescription :)

I'll stick them in the hold luggage & trust Sleazy Jet not to lose the bags.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »
I'm not sure I would risk it Paul but your call.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:27:45 PM »
Jen just suggested you take a few days worth in hand luggage in any case, so should the bag go astray you have time to sort yourself out with local help. There will be plenty of local people in Arillas to guide you and help you. Just a suggestion.

Phil

Offline Paul Clark

• Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
Cheers, I may well do that Phil.

I can imagine the "Psstttt....... can you sell me some morphine?" conversation on the beach at midnight!

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
Cheers, I may well do that Phil.

I can imagine the "Psstttt....... can you sell me some morphine?" conversation on the beach at midnight!

Lol.😀

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:39 PM »
Now we know Sonia dearest. I'll do the meeting at the beach, and see you back at base at 1210 precisely......... lol!!!!!

Phil

Offline Paul Clark

• Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:45:24 PM »
The good thing about morphine is that you only actually want it when you need it & as my Consultant explained to me "Mr Clark, you'll be asleep before you can overdose" oh how right she was :)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 11:57:40 PM »
Fantastic news that you're in remission Paul. Have a wonderful, relaxing time.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »

Paul ask your doctor or pharmacy to send an e-mail or fax you a copy of your prescription,  in Cyprus early last year I lost my vital heart tablets and spent a sleepless night worrying, I knew I would have to contact a local doctor immediately the next day or have a heart attack....luckily they had fallen down the side of settee in the room when we unpacked, Bill found them after moving all the furniture. If your bag gets lost at least the doctor in Arillas would prescribe for you. I keep my prescription with my passport now.

Val x 

The love affair continues.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 03:29:22 PM »
Firstly, glad to hear you're in remission Paul - onwards and upwards!!

My other half has spent the winter in Arillas and consequently had to take three months worth of medication ( - and he's on TEN different types a day), which as you can imagine, was a considerable amount. He had similar concerns to yourself, and rang the surgery, told them the situation, and his GP emailed him a letter to take with him, confirming his medical requirements. In the end, he put the majority in hold luggage, and an 'emergency' supply in his hand luggage and it wasn't a problem, he didn't wasn't questioned about it at all, but he may have just been lucky.

I'd just like to point out, that simply by being in Arillas, his health has improved enormously. Yet another reason for going ( - as if anybody need one!!)

Offline Paul Clark

• Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »
Thanks all, having looked into this in a bit more detail it seems as if I may have a problem with Morphine as it's a controlled drug under the misuse of drugs act. I've spoken to my Dr. & he should be able to supply a letter confirming my potential need for the drug. It'll have to go in hold luggage as it's in 1/2 litre bottles. Having said that, Morphine is a drug of last resort for me, if it goes missing I'll revert to Metaxa 7* & Anna's best Greek coffee.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
I take my prescription medicine in my hand luggage and always have a copy of my prescription with me
Never had any problems at security. I never put it in with luggage, cost of medicines may be quite expensive if it gets lost or delayed

Booking.com