Author Topic: Dolphins  (Read 10629 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Dolphins
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
I have read over the years on this fabulous forum that some people have spotted Dolphins. To those very lucky few where and when are our best chances of spotting these magical creatures?

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
Re: Dolphins
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »

Hi Jo,
         I have seen the dolphins quite a few times from our balcony at the Mathraki but only in the early morning. Also only seen them with binoculars, they seem to always be between San Seph headland and the open sea about a mile out I would say... so you could watch them from your bench as you have your quite time 😃

Last year the pod seemed bigger I would guess about eight to a dozen but they are constantly leaping about so I can't count them accurately😃😃 there are usually a couple of young ones as well.

When we stayed at Kaloudis for two weeks late last year I didn't see any so I assume they have different areas for different times of the year.

Good luck, Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
Wow! Lucky you Val, We've seen them a few times out on boat trips and that was magical enough, we will have to keep a closer watch.

Suzy X

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
That's weird you posting this Jo as I was going to ask the same question last week when someone had mentioned dolphins on here ...........
Thanks for the info Val , will keep them peeled !
We once swam with them in Mexico and after hearing all of these wonderful things from people about how magical it was etc etc  I can tell you they weren't lying !
There's just something about these creatures that I can't explain , until you actually do swim with them and look into their eyes you will never know what I am talking about ........
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
What a fantastic experience Truth....I'm jealous!

Suzy X

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »
I am not one of these people to "big" things up at all but honestly Suzy there is NO point trying to explain what its like , you HAVE to do it ...............  :-)

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
Hopefully one day truth....It took my husband ages to persuade me swim amongst loggerhead turtles in Zante a few years ago which was absolutely brilliant but I'm sure it doesn't compare to dolphins - they are something else!

Suzy X

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

Karl....I am  jealous too. Suzy Zante was wonderful, I really enjoyed swimming with the loggerhead turtles but dolphins would be something else.

Val x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »
You need to sit in a speedboat with mobile in hand and leave Bill on the balcony with his mobile .......
When he spots them he can give you a "GO GO GO" and off you go to see them !!!!    lol
You could make a killing here thinking about it advertising "Dolphin Trips"  :-)

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »
Book Val n Bill for a Dolphin Thrill!  :-)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:54 PM »
I saw a few whilst we were over in May
It was as the sun went down and the sea was quite calm, they were in the bay just off North Beach.
It was only for a few minutes they looked to be heading towards San Steph

Offline Chris G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 12:23:11 AM »
We have seen them twice in the last 2 years both times at sunset from the Three Brothers Restaurant in Afionas, a pod of 8 to 12 swimming and leaping in the sea between Afionas and Arillas in the bay just of the Gravia Island.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
Aww what lovely experiences these all must have been. Hope we get lucky x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »

It seems that they go out in the early morning and return at sunset so I will have to take the binoculars with me to dinner.

Karl and Terry.....don't think I will be starting a dolphin spotting business though😃

Val x

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »
We saw a pod of about 12. They were playing in the shallows of the bay off the north beach, and clearly visible from Ammos, just as the sun was about to set. I hopt to see them again, it felt an honour to see such a magnificent sight.

Booking.com