Author Topic: Why do you keep going to the same place?  (Read 18132 times)

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Why do you keep going to the same place?
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
I was asked that very same question the other night. It was followed up with doesn't it get boring? I struggled to answer the question to be honest. The best I could come up with at the time was, It's really nice and you can more or less guarantee a good holiday. This isn't the whole truth though is it? I trying to counter with, "why do you keep going to the same pub? Is it because you see friends and you feel comfortable there?" So can you help, what is it about Arillas that is so magical that it keeps calling some of us back?

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Why do you keep going to the same place?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
my son keeps telling us there is so much more of the world we should see rather than return to the same place year after year, well i do agree with him... but still keep going back year after year!! it's something you can't explain isn't it? is it the people, the place, the food, no idea, but whatever it is, i'm not giving it up anytime soon.
ger x

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Ive not been to Arillas for a few years, instead we went to Crete, Minorca then Turkey and although they were nice holidays I'm really looking forward to returning to Arillas. I'm looking forward to being welcomed like a friend, strolling along the beach, watching the sunset go down and the food, I have my favourites but the food is good everywhere in Arillas. I won't miss the repetitive food that you get in an all inclusive, to loud rubbish music blasting out around the pool and the rubbish evening entertainment. I will enjoy having relaxing meals in the company of my wife and our (grown up) kids. It just feels right to be going.

Offline jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
I have been to them all, all over europe the usual tourist  places, and in my humble opinion arillas knocks the spots off the lot of them it might not be for everybody thats fair enough, but i will be back later this year for my 18th visit and that i suppose says it all

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:44:22 AM »
Without being too gushy I have always felt a spiritual pull to Arillas. Can't explain it but it definitely feels like home each time we return. It has this pull that never seems to diminish as the years go by. Ok so I failed on the gushy bit  lol

Offline Anne

• Retired and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 10:37:20 AM »
Hello, my name is Anne and I am an Arillas Addict!
Same as everyone else  - I can't explain it. It is like getting your feet into a comfy pair of slippers, slipping off your bra and relaxing with a cup/glass of your favourite tipple. Then settling down to read a favourite book or watch a good film.
I too have been well travelled to different countries and have had some fantastic holidays and cruises but non of them has the magic that Arillas has to keep calling me back.
After coming back for over 20 years, the last 3, for several months, you can safely say, we are hooked into our bit of paradise.
I have given up trying to explain Arillas magic to people, after all we don't want it to get over-run do we. The ones who have taken up my suggestion of 'come and try it for yourself' are now returning, time and time again.
Must dash now, off to do absolutely nothing much, on my favourite little Greek island.
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »
Oh yes Anne , I know that feeling of complete freedom when I slip off my bra and relax ,,,,,,, hang on ,,,,,, what am I on about !!!!   :-)
Enjoy your day in Paradise Anne ......
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
It just feels like home!  We have been to other places too (instead of Arillas or in addition too) and it's amazing how much more relaxed I feel approaching a holiday in Arillas than other placed.  You know the routine at the airport, transfer time, that the accommodation will be good and spotless, that you won't have to endure thumping music right outside your door, there will be sunbeds on the beach, beds by a clean pool, you'll find a wide range of decent food every day, welcoming people, warm smiles, safe environment, the sun hot and, above all, the welcome very warm.  Oooh and that hug I get from Roula as I step out of the taxi.... yep, coming home!  Even thinking about it now gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and a smile on my face.  That's why I've introduced Arillas to other people - and this year my stepdaughter and niece are coming on their first visit. We feel they will be able to be safe & secure doing their own thing, not be joined at the hip to us which, at 13 & 15, will be rather nice for them!

Yes, we'll visit other places from time to time, or have a year off Arillas so Andrew can sail to his hearts content (Pedro has rather set and limited criteria for sailable wind!!) but we will always come back to Arillas, come back home :)

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
First posted a long time ago - Whilst everyone has their own reasons for loving Arillas, for me the main one is the people you meet there. Most seem to think the same and like the same things. There are no pretentious `idiots`, just genuine down to earth people. After two minutes of talking, you are arranging to meet in so and so bar/taverna.  Then there`s the actual place- I can`t put my finger on it either. No other place has affected me (us) as much- or everyone else who posts on this forum, it seems. God forbid the developers and mass tourism get their hands on it. If you want lively,noisy holidays, go elsewhere on Corfu and leave the rest of us to get on with `it`. Just using this forum has proved to me there are still decent, honest people still left in this world, and I consider it a privilege to talk to you. I wonder how many people just did a late booking or took a chance and couldn`t believe their luck?
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »
"why do I keep going to the same place
So the answer to that is I don't..... I have been to the Rainbow, Tria-Adelphia, Akti, Marvel, Christos, so I don't go to the same place. Although we do now tend to steer towards the Rainbow.

On a more serious note the allocated on arrival that we had on our first visit was the best move we ever made. Although we were yet to find out the pleasure that Arillas gives us, The booking of that holiday proved to be PRICELESS

Arillas offers us a place where we can relax and unwind within minutes
Arillas offers us Pleasure
Arillas offers us Local People, people who take time to get to know us, people who take care of us, but most of all people who Care about their village and want to make us all Care for it also.

The list goes on and at the end of the list there is no specific answer.
People aske me why I always go to the same place and I always give the same answer

Arillas ,She takes you in her arms and she wont let you go.
Long may she continue to do it.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »
As I put at the bottom of all my posts - Arillas - the perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains    :-)
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 10:57:28 PM »
Like John we have stayed all over the village over our 18 years but for the past 10 or so we have always stayed with Dida. I thought that I had better book for next July just incase and this is the reply I got... Maybe this will give you an insight into why our holidays are so special

Good evening lovely lady and let me add lovely family...!
It makes me really happy when I think of my apartment costumers and the first family that pops in my head is yours.. How the kids literally grew up here and we took part in so many of your special family moments..!!
Both good and tough..

Anyway, for the apartment I thing we should actually carve your family name on the door so no one else has the wright to ask for it..

Consider it booked for you of course...

Many kisses to all the family from everyone here...
See you soon...

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
What a lovely message Jo...you must be all emotional again and why wouldn't you want to keep returning?

Suzy X

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
I may just have shed a tear or 3 Suzy :)

Offline claire43

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
Last year we went to Athens and then to Poros (the very first Greek island we went to 30 years ago) and we spent the whole time comparing the food, lovely but not the same, the people ,not the same because they were friendly in a financial sort of way,the scenery,good and awful ( in Athens the graffiti)......so this year we will return for our 4th time to Arillas and will be booking while we there for 2017..We can't wait to return to the 'spirit' and calm of the sea,the food and of course the people.

Booking.com