Author Topic: Arillas 2016  (Read 11470 times)

Offline Ron and Sue

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Arillas 2016
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
      We have just arrived home after another excellent holiday in Arillas.Many thanks to Jimmy,Vicky and all the family at the Rainbow for making our visit so pleasurable.The village was a little quiet when we arrived but was getting much fuller towards the end of our stay.              The new grillroom Bouyata(ex Stekis) was doing very well as were all the eating places we visited.The Mirage has been transformed with new apartments and a re-designed restaurant area.The storm on 13th June was tremendous but all the people pulled together to help right the damage done.    The only down side was that the bins had not been emptied for 3 weeks before we arrived and still had not been emptied when we left.Arillas was not good with rubbish overflowing the bins and spreading into the road but compared to some of the resorts that we passed through they were quite lucky.Sidari had created a communal tip in the middle of the main carpark and it must have measured 50 metres long and 25 metres wide so you can imagine the smell.     Returning at the airport we heard a lot of people (some first time visitors) saying that they would never return again because of the rubbish.It is such a pity that this reflects so badly on the island.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
Re: Arillas 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
That's not good to hear at all about the rubbish :-(
Glad you had a great time though
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline craig w

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:50:12 PM »
I take it theres a strike of some sort with the bin men
craig

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:38:01 PM »
That is what I was going to ask Craig.

Offline Ron and Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
It seems that there is a strike by the rubbish collectors which has gone on for several weeks and shows little sign of ending.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:41:54 PM »
The word when we were there was that the bin men had not been paid for some time and were refusing to clear the rubbish,
in which case that is understandable. However It becomes a concern on health grounds as well as providing a bad impression of the Island, especially for the first time visitor. The government need to address the issue with urgency as the loss of visitors to the island can only be of detriment to the Island and its future. 

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »
It was the same last year - maybe not in Arillas but, on driving around the island, we encountered many areas (resorts and inland villages) with overflowing rubbish. The smell was stomach churning!  Definitely needs sorting out as it's off-putting to much needed visitors, not to mention a health hazard but it seems to be part of a larger, ongoing issue which no doubt won't be resolved quickly!

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
Hear hear John. As a union branch rep myself I could only advocate a removal of services if there was a removal of salary. I don't honestly have enough insight into the situation to truly comment, although, one can only hope that the Corfiot powers that be quickly realise that this situation negatively affects tourism. It won't affect my decision to visit, I'm still counting the minutes ........  about 1800 of them :-)

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 11:12:47 PM »
Do they not have tips like we have where residents could take the ribbon to themselves while the strike is on?

Offline Anne

• Retired and loving it!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 12:08:28 AM »
We heard that the land fill sites are full with locked gates. The rubbish is going to be collected and taken to the mainland by contractors. Still waiting for them to arrive though.
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
It is so important. All the efforts of our favourite businesses in Arillas go as nothing if they are seen by the world as being surrounded by rotting waste, however much it may not be true in their vicinity.

I always think warmly of Billy at Armourada who campaigns tirelessly to prompt  a clean up and harangues people to keep it all clean. Be sure - he understands more about Arillas than any of us can.

However, the effect on Arillas itself will be rapidly sorted by the local people, who are so proud of our little corner of the world. They deal with the weather, the strikes and even the "bladdy tourists." Like dear friend cypress says - these reports will have no effect on most of us who go regularly - because we know the truth of what it will really be like. Wonderful.

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

Sorry Phil but this is one thing Billy can't do at the moment, the family have managed to open the shop this week but it closes very early evening and the restaurant is now open as well. Takis is still in hospital as far as I know but the whole family and all friends are very worried about him.

As to the rubbish all the bins are overflowing but everyone is bagging the rubbish before leaving it by the big bins. The smell as you walk past them is horrible though.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 03:44:28 PM »
Oh dear. Never like walking past the bins on the road out of the village on the bend after Vinceremos  as it is as the bins are often overflowing and smell anyway. One of the few negative points that I have always overlooked.

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 07:57:24 PM »
the scenes when we were driven into Corfu town yesterday to get our flight home were quite depressing. Massive dumps of rubbish lying around. Tasos reckoned that the strike may be over this week, I really hope so.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BAJ

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »
The bin problem has its own thread on Ag Stef forum! Rubbish is apparently stacking up there in the main street.
According to locals on there it is the closure of the landfill in the south of the island which has caused the problem, closed as it's full. Dont know whether this is right or not, but whatever the problem it will do nothing to encourage first time visitors to return and can only have a negative impact on the tourist industry many rely upon.

Booking.com