Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 40444 times)

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Brexit
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
I was at a Paul Heaton gig tonight and he said lets boo the millions who didn't vote. He the said "We're British, we're programmed to fuck up a good thing? Sorry for the swearing but I have to agree with him.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »
i voted in the referendem over joining the EU and voted against Joining,but since we have been in i have voted to stay both times now we have had the chance to vote.

Hi

We never had a referendum to join the EU. Ted Heath just took us in. The first referendum we had in 1975 and the second in 2016.

Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »
Hi Harold
Sorry I should have said in the 1975 referendum   Harold Wilson gave us the opportunity to leave the then EEC, as we were already in, The only vote we have ever had to leave was in 2016.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
Quick query, is anyone on here of the age for experiencing life/work etc before the UK joined the EU in 1975?  Just interested as to how life (health, work, benefits, security etc) has changed since then - and did that affect how you voted?   At that referendum, turnout was 65% with 67% in favour of joining.

Hi
We joined the then EEC in 1973 and there was no referendum. The first referendum was in 1975 to vote whether to remain.

Geoff

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »

Just read in the Mail that the mayor of Calais has called for the migrant camps to be moved to Britain as Brexit vote scuppered the border deal with France.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
Hi
The agreement re our border in Calais, is a bi lateral agreement with France, and nothing to do with the EU. I believe it has a number of years before it can be changed.
France wanted our help on this as even more immigrants  entering Europe would travel through France and end up in Calais seeing it as route to GB.
Without it Calais would even have more of a problem as other European countries do not offer asylum as they should under EU rules. That is, every immigrant should be offered asylum in the first country they enter into Europe.
They don't generally do this and allow free passage throughout Europe, this  allows them to travel throughout France to Calais.
Geoff

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
I was at a Paul Heaton gig tonight and he said lets boo the millions who didn't vote. He the said "We're British, we're programmed to f@@@ up a good thing? Sorry for the swearing but I have to agree with him.
Heaton is class (seen him live loads of times) but never really agreed with his political views. I agree totally with him on this though.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
I was at a Paul Heaton gig tonight and he said lets boo the millions who didn't vote. He the said "We're British, we're programmed to f@@@ up a good thing? Sorry for the swearing but I have to agree with him.
Heaton is class (seen him live loads of times) but never really agreed with his political views. I agree totally with him on this though.

I think you should consider that politicians in Netherlands, France and Italy are pushing their  goverments for referendums to leave.

Since our vote borrowing costs  have  gone up in Italy, Spain,Portugal and Greece.
Stock markets in Frankfurt, Paris, and Milan fell up to more than 4 times than ours due to the fear that more referendums will be demanded to leave.
Unlike our vote where the majority of voters were of the older generation, in the aforementioned countries, it is the youth who are discontented, due mainly  to 50% plus unemployment levels.
It is the young generation voting for extreme political groups within Europe as they are fed up with their countries leaders.Look at the political party who nearly took control of  Austria a few weeks ago.
The European banking system, particularly in Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece are in dire straights
The EU dream will fail, not just because we are to leave, but because it does not work. Throughout Europe  discontent of being controlled by an elitist group of 27 unelected  members of the EU  commission will bring it down.

27 into 1 will not work. The EU has never been about trade but political power.

Sorry about going on, but I feel proud of being English and a part of Great Britain.
Geoff

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
I too am a very proud Englishman and my comment was made because I am also the ultimate pessimist (aswell as being said a little tongue in cheek)! Lol . We clearly don't f*** everything up
Thanks for the info Turkeyfoot, I knew Frances Le Penn wants out of Europe (even though she is not actually in power) but I didn't know about the others.
Ultimately we just HAVE to get on with it now anyway ......

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
Arillas general information
Welcome to our New forum, Please feel free to give or receive feedback about Arillas.

Perhaps the discussion on this topic should be made in an appropriate place as it is totally inappropriate for this forum.
I was under the impression that this Forum was to help Promote Arillas and not the outcome of a Referendum vote on the United Kingdom  being
IN or OUT Europe

Offline Paul & Denise

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
19 days!! that has come round quick John have a great time once again.
As interesting as some of this information is, I agree let's make this a soapbox free Forum

Yammas

Offline intentioncraft

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • hooked on acropolis
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
Ah Mr Referee,an appropriate time to blow your whistle,fear of the unknown does tend to stir the blood,accept my sincere apology for posting non related comments on this wonderful site😇

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:23 PM »
Hi
I too apologise for getting on my high horse re the EU. I just cant help it
As you may guess I voted out
Geoff

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 10:43:20 PM »
The thread just needs to be moved to "General Chat" I think as thats what it is....

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
I was tired and emotional when I started this chat, to be honest I'd intended to post it in general chat. My intention wasn't to discuss the rights or wrongs of the referendum, that's happened and we have to live with it. My intention was how will this affect the British visitors to Arillas? I have a dream, when I retire I like the idea of being one of the people who spends their summers in Arillas. I now have real doubts about whether this is feasible. I visited Arillas shortly after the banking crisis and believe it affect my holiday negatively as everything was expensive due to the weak pound and people were worried. When the pound is weak all inclusive holidays are more attracrive and this could negatively affect Arillas. I know it isn't only Brits who go there, it's part of the attraction for me, I love meeting people from other countries and cultures.

Booking.com