Author Topic: Coeliac - need to be Gluten Free  (Read 4376 times)

Offline UrsulaE

Coeliac - need to be Gluten Free
« on: July 02, 2016, 12:30:55 AM »
Hello all,
I have been a member on here before but forgot my password etc - do have set up a new account :-)

I have recently been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease - which in layman's terms means I can't eat anything containing Gluten or Wheat. At home I am slowly adjusting and getting used to following the gluten free diet. However, we are coming to Arillas on 29th August for 2 weeks and I am a little concerned about my well being while on holiday. We have been to Arillas many times and know just how wonderful it is - but I need to be able to explain to people that I can't eat gluten and that cross contamination of foods can cause problems.

Has anyone faced similar problems? Can any one offer me any advice? Do any of the supermarkets in Arillas stock Gluten Free foods? (not something I have needed to look out for before)

I will be taking some supplies with me, but need to be reassured as this is very new to me.

If anyone can offer me some help / tips that would be amazing!!!

Thanks very much

Ursula

Offline billyd

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Coeliac - need to be Gluten Free
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »
Ina's shop next to the Horizon has a 'health food' section, that german tourists tend to frequent. But I can't say positively that it gluten free!

Offline emeralddragons

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
Ursula,
Some years ago I was on a gluten free diet (no wheat, oats or barley etc.) for a couple of years. (Turned out it didnīt help me.) We visited Arillas - no problem. Lovely vegetables, fruit, meat and fish. Have rice or potatoes, skip the pasta.
As for bread, I brought gluten free crisp bread with me from Finland to have with my morning coffee. However, in May this year Dimitris (Brouklis) told us that he ordered gluten free bread from a local bakery. Maybe you could ask him which bakery it was.
I, too, remember having seen gluten free products in the shops, but cannot guarantee that. Didnīt find them necessary myself.
HOWEVER: if you are one of those severely oversensitive coeliac sufferers, who cannot eat even gluten free products if they have been anywhere near gluten, for instance in the same bakery, I cannot advise you, Iīm afraid.
Emeralddragons

Offline billyd

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Ursula, I went into Alex's supermarket and he has a range of gluten free products. I noticed cereal and pasta to name a few.
Hope this helps. As mentioned previously the Taverna's may help also.

Offline UrsulaE

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »
Hi Folks
Thanks very very much for the information, it has really put my mind at rest. At home I am eating alot of food that is naturally Gluten free and from your replies I can do this while on us holidays.
We fly 5 weeks on Monday and we are on the BIG count down
Ursula
xx

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »
Ursula
We arrived back home today from Arillas and Alex's supermarket definitely supplies gluten free products; cereals,pasta,rice,cereal snack bars,crispbreads and a few other bits.
BTW...Arillas is still amazing!!!

Suzy x

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 07:25:16 PM »
Hi Ursula.

We went with my brother-in-law (coeliac diagnosed) a few years ago, and like Emeralddragon above,
 he had no problem at all.

Booking.com