Author Topic: Courgette Balls!  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Courgette Balls!
« on: August 20, 2016, 05:41:54 PM »
I tried these for the first time at Brouklis this year (don't let the fact you're not keen on courgettes put you off by the way) anyhow they were amazing so I have decided to try to make some. Cooking as we speak. So far they are a disaster! I have followed the Brouklis recipe from their website and they were very soppy when I had mixed it all together despite straining and straining the courgettes. Plus at the moment they look green not brown. I am baking rather than frying as the Mixture wasn't firm enough (despite adding more flour). Any tips for a perfect result??

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
Re: Courgette Balls!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »

The perfect result?? Book a trip to Arillas. 😉

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:47:56 PM »
So , what you have actually created , Jo , is a "Courgette Balls Up"
Negg

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »
Never had them before this year either Jo but had them at Bardis Sun , Efi's and Brouklis!
My Dad gives loads of courgettes away from his allotment but we will be keeping a lot more now and trying to make some half decent balls!
We have got Poppys recipe so will let you know how the other half gets on with them....
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
well they tasted ok but think I will leave to the experts and wait till next July!

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 11:12:28 PM »
I know where you're coming from...... lol
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline emeralddragons

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:25:43 PM »
Many courgette recipes advise you to slice the courgettes and sprinkle the slices with salt, and then let them "sweat out" excess water for about half an hour.
We seldom bother to do that. Long ago in Italy we were taught to use only small courgettes. They still lack the mushy marrow in the centre.
That is important.
For courgette balls you can grate the courgettes, place the grated courgettes in a colander, then salt and leave to drain.
A favourite way to serve courgettes is to cut them in slices, sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt and generous amounts of any of the dried herbs or herb mixtures we bring home from Arillas every year. Adding some garlic is never wrong. Then fry them lightly on both sides in olive oil, until they turn golden. Very easy.
Emeralddragons

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »
The other thing to do to remove the excess moisture is to cut in half lengthways and scoop out the middle (slushy seed bit) with a teaspoon.  I have used courgette to make cakes and an American 'zucchini crisp' (dessert) recipe and they all suggest removing the middle.  Off 'home' tomorrow so will have a courgette ball at Brouklis for you! :-)

Offline emeralddragons

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
Good point, Steph! And have one for me as well, please. They´re an absolute favourite!
Emeralddragon

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
The key issue is getting the moisture right. I don't drag it out with salt - I hate salty tastes - but am very patient squeezing  the grated zucchini in a clean Tea-Towel. When you think it is dry, squeeze more. And more. Then change cloth and squeeze more. Then add all the herbs and spices and squeeze even more. You need binders like egg and flour, but once the keftedes are ready to fry they will hold together and turn into those little treats we all crave. Keftedes forever!

Phil

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
Phil is right, getting as much of the moisture out is the key. I use kitchen paper instead of a tea towel.

Booking.com