Author Topic: Corfu Airport  (Read 4196 times)

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Corfu Airport
« on: September 20, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
Hi
Whilst I was aware that Greece had sold 14 airports to Fraport (including Corfu), the actual takeover being Autumn this year, I did not know, until talking to some airport staff at Corfu this week, that Fraport is part of the TUI group, who of course own Thomson.

I was wondering what this would mean for Rynair and EasyJet etc. Maybe higher airport charges (landing fees etc) or reduced flight slots which of course would mean higher ticket prices in the future.
 Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
Re: Corfu Airport
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
I didn't know that.  If it is the case that things like landing fees increase, it won't be good news.  We use Thomson for our flights to Corfu because we live very near to Norwich airport and Thomson is the only operator that flies to Corfu from there.  It's not cheap but works for us as we don't like travelling to other airports and the inconvenient flying times.  I hope that the changeover is seamless and nobody will be aware of the difference but if TUI have the monopoly then it may make it difficult for some travellers.
Ann x

Offline KarenL

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
Fraport is the company that runs (amongst others) Frankfurt Airport.  As far as I'm aware, the only (loose) connection with the TUI group of companies is that the TUIfly airline is based at Hannover airport, which is operated by ... Fraport.
I don't think it should mean any changed priorities for certain airlines.
Did you realise that Thomson is part of the TUI group?

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »
Sometimes the link between companies is so tenuous that Joe Bloggs is never aware of it.  I did know that Thomson is part of TUI and my, how their service has degenerated since then!
Ann x

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 04:41:46 AM »
Rumour has it that the cheaper airlines (Ryanair, Easyjet, etc) are upset by the threat of higher chargers and are threatening to stop flying to Corfu. I don't think that's going to happen, but be prepared for  fight!

Booking.com