Author Topic: Corfu Town - an impromptu visit!  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Corfu Town - an impromptu visit!
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
This year in Aríllas I was determined to find the Strawberry Pink Villa in Perama as mentioned in
The Corfu Trilogy by Durrell. By the way, if you have not read these why on earth not? They are an absolute joy and I promise you that you will be laughing out loud. Anyhow I digress, so after finding it - which- coincidently was above the spectacular causeway at Kanoni where you can see the planes land above your head (another impromptu visit lol) we attempted to make our way back to Aríllas. We also went to Mouss island which was fab.
Despite many locals telling us about the turning to avoid we (of course) took it and ended up slap bang in the middle of Corfu town. I was like "oh my god that's the old fortress!" Mick however was perspiring with sweat and extreme stress and didn't exactly share my enthusiasm for this unexpected tour.
Anyhow my point IS I have a desire now after 18 years to go to Corfu town for the afternoon and in particular sit at the Liston with a glass of ice cold wine.
Can some kind person tell me the easiest and cheapest way to
Make this happen!

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
Re: Corfu Town - an impromptu visit!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
W e too  were determined this year Jo to go to Corfu Town but again we did not make it as the rubbish problem put us off. Next time hopefully ....

Offline momo

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:02:07 AM »
Hi Jo. Dave and I always take a trip to Corfu Town during our Arillas stay.  We sometimes take a trip with one of the companies in the village (Olga's or Arillas Travel eg).  They give you a choice of a day or evening trip and cost about 12E each. The last couple of times though, we've taken the green bus. We like to leave on the first bus at 6.30 am and come back on the only direct bus home at 2.30pm. There is a later bus in  at 10ish I think but it's fun to arrive in town early.  The run takes a couple of hours but we enjoy it.  You visit Afionas first and little villages you might never see otherwise.  Very relaxing. Costs about 3 or 4 E each way. I should remember but can't!  Mo

Offline Ron and Sue

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
Really like our annual trip to Corfu Town.We usually go with Arillas Travel and try to alternate between day and evening visits.                 Excellent value at 10/12 euros and you generally get 4/5 hours there.For the day visit you will find this long enough as the town is so hot,     Well worth the visit:hope you make it in 2017.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
Afternoon visit for us. we take the coach into town (book with Arillas Travel)
A leisurely afternoon /evening in town. visited quite a few places
Old fort, New fort, Anemomylos Windmill (far end of Garitsia bay) British Cemetery museums.
lots to do in town take tea/coffee on the Liston Picnic by the bandstand and of course the old town and St Spyridons
Back around 10.30 and dropped off outside the nut ....Perfect

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
It's a long time since we did, but once caught the early bus from Arillas. I know - NOBODY gets up that early on holiday, but we did in 2003. It stops everywhere but that just added to the joy and experience. We had a wonderful day including <cough cough> coffee at Liston. Yes, coffee. We took our nephew on a tour of Corfu Town on the horse-drawn carriage, visited the fort and ate huge prawns in a wonderful back street taverna. 13 years later they are still glorious memories.

Have never done it again, sad to say. Not truly sad though. We have had so much to do in Arillas that our 4 weeks per year have all been spent in Arillas since. Maybe it was an initiation that needed doing. Maybe, but we will need more than the four weeks holiday mode to do it all. Please cross your fingers that we get the chance to do it all.

Phil

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »

Hi All

we go for our fix of corfu town we went this year, we go with olga's travel go in the aftenoon and spend the evening looking around the shops i know what you going to say one shop is the same as the one next door i know that but it is the buzzz. Have a meal and a few drinks then a coach back to Arillas

kevin

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »
We both love Corfu town - it's busy and bustling and hot but the vibe is great and the buildings are just amazing. I've done the evening coach trip once but since then have visited when we have the hire car, parking in the area near the cricket greens.  Driving in Corfu down is rather an art but fun....ish!!! We ended up going down some very narrow streets with the tyres squealing on the tiles - all very Italian (or should that be Greek!) Job! Usually combine it with a trip to the causeway at the end of the runway and the taverna up on the hill - have to have my plane fix :D

Booking.com