Author Topic: Size of the beach  (Read 133351 times)

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Size of the beach
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Thanks Maggie, in future I will rely on the feet that do the walking. :D
                                                                                          Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
im sure the sand will come back in its glory this yr ,,if you look down from nikos bar on a calm day you can see all the sandbanks just sitting there wait for the tides to turn,,,yammas

Nan

« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »
Just a little update on the beach. The stretch of sand is much wider on both sides this year.

What I have noticed is the shift in the sand shelf as you enter the sea. Normally it's a gradual change shallow getting deeper but it's a strange thing this year it seems to be an undulating sandbank.

As you enter the shallows you then notice the sea gets deeper very suddenly and as you progress further the sand suddenly comes up to meet you and you find yourself in shallow water again. Ther must be a ridge of sand which is giving this effect

The water right by the jetty on both sides is quite deep now and then becomes shallow very quickly. It's as though it has been scooped out and deposited at the sides !! A little bit disconcerting and children need to be kept away from the sides of the jetty as there is a slight undertow and you can find yourself being pulled by it.

It will probably all change again within the next few weeks and months and when I come again in September it will be totally different.

Cheers Nan x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »

Many thanks for the update Nan, roll on the 30th when I can wet my tootsies.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the update, Ann. Have you been snorkeling yet?

Terry

Offline kvarnell

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
Hi
The beach was like that the year before last, keep the updates coming I love every bit of info ;-)

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »
thanx ann
snorkel&mask  ready to go................xx

Nan

« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »
It's been lovely to get in the sea and snorkle. Lots of little fish by the jetty but not as many as in the summer obviously.

Sea calm today and so warm even though a bit overcast. Some seaweed been washed up overnight.

The little hut has not been placed on the beach yet so it's a quick change and hope no one is offended if they get a peek of you whilst you juggle with your towel!

I need new swim shoes though they have rotted over the winter and my big toe is now peeping through. Never mind will get it sorted before September. 

If you can get out here DO SO NOW there's only me in the sea !

Cheers Nan xx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
Full of admiration Nan luvver. From where I sit I am guessing your thermostat works like Jen's - mine is quite different. I might have a snorkle in October, certainly lots of swims, but in May I doubt I'd get my ankles wet.... Its justme. My nickname at work is "StayWarmPhil."

We noticed the shelf thing in 2002. You wade out, nearly up to your chest in water then two more steps and back up to ankles or knees.

Good advice about kids near the jetty.
Have a great time meluvver
Phil

Offline DronnyDave

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2011, 08:07:03 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have an update on the condition of the beach, especially at the North end.

I'm really sorry to say, but we will be stopping in San Stefanos this year. But we will be making regular trips over the hill providing the path is still negotiable.

We were really disappointed with the lack of beach last year, although I understand it has improved this year. So any update would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
I've been back 2 weeks now and the beach was fantastic this year while I was there....best it has been for several years.
Sandy x

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
Anyone know how accessible the North Beach is this year.  We did lots of wading last year.
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline DronnyDave

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »
Many thanks Sandy,

We first went to Arillas in 2008 and the beach that year was really good. In fact it was the beach that we first really fell in love with.

So you can imagine our disappointment when it all disappeared.

We fly out on Monday, so I'm hoping that not much has changed in the two weeks since you were there.

thanks again.

Offline SteveL

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »
We were there 4 to 18 July and spent several days on the north beach. Each day there was a wade around the rock but nothing too taxing, except towards the end of our stay when the moon was full and therefore the tides were running higher.  It still wasn't difficult though, you just got a bit wet!!!
Once on the beach it was the widest I've seen it for several years and during our two weeks stay you could see the sand being deposited day by day.
Hope it will still be good for you.

Steve

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Thanks for that good detailed reply, Steve.  Glad it was ok for you.  Don't mind a bit of wading (just don't enjoy 400 yards of it).
Looking forward to September when Julia & I will be able to see that lovely stretch of sand for ourselves.
Best wishes
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Booking.com